Thursday, December 30, 2010

On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me...

A fresh batch of Fox Ahoys.
Some of my favorite traditions during Christmas are the sweet treats that my family makes.  The most famous of these treats are the aforementioned Fox Ahoys, homemade chocolate chip cookies made by my mom.  Because of their continuous popularity among my friends and family, I wanted to write a short history of these cookies based on my own recollections.

Part 1

"Son," called my mom from the kitchen, "Would you like to learn how to bake my cookies?"
I looked up from the T.V where I was watching the latest episode of Power Rangers and hurried into the kitchen.  This was HUGE!  I was about to learn how to make my mom's homemade cookies.  These sweet morsels from heaven were a success wherever she took them - especially at our church where, thanks to one of my friends, they came to be known as "Fox Ahoys" (my family has a thing for foxes).
As I looked excitedly at the ingredients set before me, my mom began to explain the difference between salted and unsalted butter and that adding nuts to the cookies was optional (which was fine with me because I've never cared for nuts in my desserts).  While she began mixing the ingredients together I asked, "Where did you get this recipe?"
"It actually came from your grandmother actually."
"Meemah?  So, this is an old family recipe?"
"I don't know how old it is, but it is a family recipe."
As images of my grandmother toiling over the cookie dough, knowing somehow instinctively how much of what ingredient to add to the mix danced in my head, I made a mental note to ask her about it during our next visit, which would be soon because Christmas was coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment